At once a wild phantasmagoria and a work of exacting realism, Dead Souls is a supremely living work of art that spills over with humor and passion and absurdity. Donald Rayfield's vigorous new translation corrects the mistakes and omissions of earlier versions while capturing the vivid speech rhythms of the original. It also offers a fuller text of the unfinished second part of the book by combining material from Gogol's two surviving drafts into a single compelling narrative.
- Download This eBook.
- Till I Wake - Piano?
- 50 Most Common Korean Expressions (Korean Made Easy for Everyday Life Book 1).
- Republicans and the Road to Redemption;
This is a tour de force of art and scholarship—and the most authoritative, accurate, and readable edition of Dead Souls available in English. Nikolai Gogol, Donald Rayfield. Gogol's Dead Souls has achieved a magnificent re-birth Rayfield's translation is one that Vladimir Nabokov would unreservedly admire The plot of the novel relies on "dead souls" i.
On another level, the title refers to the "dead souls" of Gogol's characters, all of which visualise different aspects of poshlost an untranslatable Russian word which is perhaps best rendered as "self-satisfied inferiority", moral and spiritual, with overtones of middle-class pretentiousness, fake significance, and philistinism. Summary from Wikipedia.
If you are not in the USA, please verify the copyright status of these works in your own country before downloading, otherwise you may be violating copyright laws. Download cover art Download CD case insert. Play Introduction by John Cournos, and Author's Preface.
- Focused Interviewing!
- Le Manteau de La Puissance (French Edition)!
- Bad Girl.
- Keep Exploring Britannica;
- Even among congressional Republicans, one can see some glimpses of slouching toward redemption..
- Similar Books;
- Winter Awake!.
Part I, Chapter I. Part I, Chapter V - Section 1.
- Gogol’s “Dead Souls” Should Be on Trump’s Summer Reading List!
- Wang Bing Gives Voice to ‘Re-education’ Camp Survivors!
- Purveyors of Dead Souls? / ukyrelazok.tk.
- Dead Souls by Nikolai Vasilevich Gogol!
- Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens by J.M. Barrie (Illustrated).